11.16.2011

the fancy room

About a month ago, I was on the phone with my friend Whitney while she was at my favorite antique consignment place. I asked her to keep an eye out for a dresser I could use for the new guest room in the basement. She said they didn't have any dressers, but they did have a pretty cool buffet/sideboard for $40. After she sent me a picture, I immediately called the place and told them I'd be there as soon as I could to pick it up.

Here's what it looked like when I got it home:


I removed all of the hardware and sanded it with Jay's palm sander (which is really fun, by the way!). Then I sprayed it with two good coats of white primer. Then I waited until the next day and applied a very even coat of glossy white spray paint. Over the next few days, I applied three more coats. I replaced the hardware (I didn't do anything to it, it was already so awesome!). We moved it into the living room last week. I filled it with all of the things that haven't been fitting nicely into the dining room hutch. There was a mirror already hung on the wall where the buffet went and I really didn't feel like moving it, so we didn't. To balance everything out I added two plates from Anthropologie that I already had. Jay said he really liked the mirror off-center because it didn't look like it was trying too hard! See?


I am so in love with how it turned out! I mean, for 40 bucks plus the cost of spray paint?! So, the last piece to complete the room came today from West Elm. Jay and I have been hoarding our American Express points for a good cause. So waaaay back in September, we redeemed a bunch for West Elm gift cards and bought the Elton Settee. (No, I cannot say the word Elton without sounding like Cher from Clueless!) It arrived today. The picture isn't the greatest because I took it at night in an already pretty dim room, but at least you can see it!



That ottoman/makeshift coffee table is going to go back in the morning room (plus, it's too close to the color of the couch). So I'm trying to decide now which coffee table I want to ask for for my birthday. Romantic, I know!

Anyway, so there's the big reveal of the fancy room we never sit in. Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment