11.14.2011

A fresh start


I have been blogging over at Plume Dandy for a little over 2 years. It started as little more than an exercise to keep my mind from turning to mush. Most days the only thing I write is a to-do list. So I thought, I would write little posts about whatever was on my mind. It started out more about cute clothes and shoes and evolved into what is really important to me, what I really know about and what I deal with every day, my family. I still like clothes and shoes but there are way more fashion-savvy people already out there blogging about clothes and shoes. And trust me, if you saw me most days you'd know that I have no business blogging about what people should be wearing. They say, "write what you know" and "write what you'd like to read", so I'm going to start doing both. I know the blogs I seek out most are blogs about things I can actually buy, things I might actually be able to make, and things I can really relate to.

So, I decided instead of just continuing Plume Dandy with a new focus, I needed a clean slate, a fresh start. A new look, a new voice.

So, here's what I know. I know I love having a big family, but I'm still learning how to make it work. There are things I think I'm really good at as a mom and also things I'm really failing at. Fortunately, the things I'm doing well at, are the important things like remembering to feed, clothe and bathe them. Kidding! (sort of!) I think I'm really good at making the kids feel loved and secure. I try to make sure I spend time with them individually so they feel special. I try to make a big deal out of holidays and birthdays. I try to give them experiences that they can look back on and treasure. I know the things I'm struggling with aren't as important, like trying to plan out meals in advance and keeping up with the laundry. But, I really want to figure out how to be more efficient, more organized. I know they won't remember if I planned out a weeks worth of dinners and only had to go grocery shopping once, but maybe they will remember that most nights we sat down and ate as a family.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of person, what kind of wife, and what kind of mother I want to be. At the same time, I'm trying to mold my children into good little people. People with big dreams and big hearts. This blog will be a glimpse into our lives, into me trying to figure it all out. Maybe the kids will look at it one day and get to see what we did, what we were like. It's either this or my status updates on Facebook, because we all know I'm never going to get around to making a scrapbook!

To my loyal followers (all 8 of you!), I hope you will continue to read.

xoxo
-Katharine








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. love the new look...can't wait to keep on following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not part of your family, but I love your blog. Kay introduced me over a year ago to Plume Dandy and it was "bookmarked". You have so many times had me cracking up and even shed a tear. You have motivated me and helped me realize not to sweat the small stuff when life with children happens. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and life. I am now officially a follower....I guess before just a stalker:)

    ReplyDelete